Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paris, Je t'aime

Paris holds the key to your heart - Because Paris won over my heart

I know it's been a while, but I finally have good wifi! Let me tell you, it's been a struggle. Well I'm going to write a little bit about each day that I was in Paris, so I'll try and get through at least the first few days right now...

On Day 1 I was still with Michelle in Barcelona and then we had a few hours in Paris together, which I already posted a picture of. So we'll skip to the next day I guess.

Day 2:
We went to a cute little ward with such sweet people! They were nice enough to translate for us, which is great. Turns out I know zero French. I've learned a bit more now after being in the country for 2 1/2 weeks, but it's still a struggle. After church we went to Luxembourg gardens, which is where Cosette and Marius met in the book. :) It's such a cool place with so many trees! I loved it.


And here's the rockin view of the Seine from my hotel window


Day 3:
Walking tour with Sam, our beautiful American tour guide. He knows the coolest things about the city. Story time: He told us that there are always secret parties down in the catacombs. One time two police men found a legit movie theater down there with popcorn machines, seats and screens and everything. They went for back up and when they came back, all of it was gone! All that was left was a burning candle with a note that read: You've found one; there's four more. Good luck.
We went through the Latin Quarter, with a quick stop by Shakespeare & Co. and then on to Notre Dame! It is unreal to see so many things that I've learned about and seen pictures of my whole life. I'm actually looking at it in person, with my own eyes! Incredible. We walked across the Lovers Lock Bridge, where couples bring little locks, attach them to the bridge, lock them and seal away their love by throwing the key into the river below. Some people think it's cheesy, but I'm gonna say I thought it was pretty cute.





Then we walked by the Louvre; again, another incredible place to see in person. Sadly we ended our tour with Sam, but he was so wonderful. Then we walked up the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe! We climbed all the crazy spiral staircases to the top, and let me just say, we felt pretty triumphant. Not a bad view from the top, eh?




That night we walked out on the little island in the middle of the Seine and watched our favorite lady for a while. She sparkles for five minutes every hour, and it is pretty fantastic.


I know people talk about how dirty Paris is, but honestly I did not think it was that bad. I think it's a beautiful city, with some amazing buildings and gorgeous sights like this one right hur.

Day 4:
This day started out a little bit slow... We went to Les Invalides - the Army museum - and let's just say a few of us got quite bored really quickly. There was just WAY too much information that we did not want to hear about. But. Napoleon's tomb is there which was really cool. It is huge! I guess he was kind of a big deal.




Then we went to the Musee Rodin, which had some amazing sculptures. Followed that up with the Musee D'Orsay! We didn't spend a ton of time there, but never fear. I went back again the next day with my roommate Tabby. I definitely needed some more quality time with the fifth floor Impressionistic pieces. Love it. Right by there we found a statue of our boy Thomas Jefferson. Turns out they love him there. Who knew? Then we wandered past Notre Dame again and found some delish crepes. Crepes are no joke there; Paris is seriously all about the crepes. And they are fan-freaking-tastic. We sat on some steps leading down to the Seine, while eating crepes and listening to accordion music. Sounds pretty Parisian to me. Later that night we noticed that we can see another lovely lady from our hotel room... that's right, Lady liberty! Great sight to see. We climbed to the top of the Arc again, and it was a fun to see the difference at night. 

 This lovely man would not move out of my shot... but there he is, Mr. Jefferson himself. In Paris.

 Notre Dame... so beautiful. Wait for pictures of the interior.

 Lady Liberty, Lady Liberty. Around the harbor.


Can I just say it again? I love Paris.
More to come on Paris tomorrow. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment